Friday, January 31, 2014

First days in SL and plenty of weird to embrace

My name is Paystreak people call me Pay
Like Alikakadri (Ali) I was very lucky to have found Noobia quickly - within three days of coming to SL.
I had come to SL to learn about how it operated and to see first-hand how it could be used to create financial opportunities for someone in RL. As an experienced gamer I figured that I was ahead on the curve on the skills needed to operate in a virtual world. To some degree it may have helped but right from the start I knew that this was a world that was so variable and sometimes so bizarre that for the first day I was mostly just trying to grasp the basics of moving around while surrounded by surreal input from every direction.
I have described the early days of SL like Mardi Gras on acid. The surroundings were dreamlike and the people I encountered were either just as confused as I was or obviously comfortable and operating at a level that I could only envy. For the first two days I both wallowed and revelled in this brave new world I had come to. At every turn there was something that made me wonder just what the heck I was getting into. Within hours of arriving I was lurching around Galaxy Mall in my starter avatar trying to figure out ....well.....EVERYTHING and finding lots of opportunities to be reminded just how mind numbingly different things could be here.
I vividly remember standing in the mall looking at a box labelled “Box of c*cks” and thinking “ok I know what they are but why are they in a box,.... in a mall.... and who would want to collect them??”
It’s my own fault really. There is ample info about SL on the net and some great starter learning places. I was even shown some of them in the getting started intro that came up when I first signed in. I could have saved myself all sorts of confusion but oh nononono not me, I was just gonna jump in blind and see where it all lead.
Where it lead was me trying to figure out how to get anywhere but between the start point and the place I ended up by tapping a board. I could go back and forth between about four places – a start point –a mall –another empty store that felt like I was in some sort of apocalypse movie where I was the last person on earth and a beach where naked people ignored me until I got like three people trying to chat to me about the most intimate of stuff. I did not understand the land mark system or tps or how to find new ones but I knew that sl had to be bigger than that! By a fluke I discovered flying and thus for maybe an hour began a cross SL trek of the most awkward kind. Fly really high look down and fly then land someplace new. Fly drop repeat. I was getting places ....slowly. No rhyme or reason. No direction. I figured that there had to be easier ways but I was in a hurry to just discover so off I went. Then I discovered the map and zooming in and out and now I could zap to places using the map. WOW now I was really getting the hang of this SL thing!
I had no idea how to check on the places I was headed so every new poof was a doorway to ...something. I had no terms of reference for a lot of it. Welcome to the Neko club? What the heck is that? Who cares ..next!!!! Vampires?? They got vampires here??!!! Yikes!! NEEEEXT!!!! Another beach – what is with all these beaches and naked people???? Neeeeext! Well maybe not in a big hurry – maybe one drink ackkkk! Nexxxt!
By my third day I had seen a lot of stuff that made no sense and I was busy adding to that pile when I struck disaster. In a attempt to zap to a new place I got stuck hanging in mid air. I could not move, I could not see the ground, I was in limbo. I hung there trying things and other than discovering new ways to move my cam around me I was going nowhere. As I hung in space I noticed a flashing tab on my chat box. I had used chat maybe three times talking to people or trying to but the flashy light was new. What the heck may as well push it, I wasn’t going anywhere anyway.
A new window opened and the words, “Hello are you ok?”
Yikes? Where were they broadcasting from? How did they see me? Was I trespassing and in trouble?
I replied that I was stuck and could not move and a very patient person talked me through accepting a tp and getting out of there.
I had been found and saved by a member of Helping Haven. He got me to the ground in a sim where nobody was speaking English and after some initial difficulty in communication he figured out I was new (as if THAT wasn’t obvious) and had no clue (also obvious). He took me to Helping Haven and the people there were absolutely fantastic. Helpful and kind and very tolerant of outright dumb. They did not comment about what I had done to my avatar in an attempt to customize it when I discovered I could play with appearance sliders. I should not have played with the sliders..............really.
Nevertheless my Frankenavi was not made fun of and I got some great help. As I wandered around on their parcel grabbing free stuff I didn’t know how to use and reading things that were over my head I came across a sign that said “First home in second life – free”, and I thought well I have no idea why I might need a home but I could be hanging out here awhile so why not, and I took that tp to Noobia. It was late at night and I landed in an empty hotel lobby.  A sign there explained that new people under 30 days could get a free apartment for 2 weeks. Sounded good – no idea why yet but hey it was free and I had an inventory bulging with free stuff so more free couldn’t hurt. Plus two whole weeks! Man I would have everything figured out in two weeks noooo problem. I was not sure how I was supposed to get this apartment so I stood there........hmmmmmmm......... maybe if I read the sign again.... but harder??? After awhile I followed my usual procedure in sl and just wandered around looking at everything, taking anything free that was not nailed down and generally poking at stuff. I came around a corner and found a bunch of pictures on the wall and figured out that it was a contact system for staff. I picked one that had a picture of a pretty girl who had a nice vibe and tapped a board that would change my life. She answered me!!! I asked about the apartment and she said she would be there to help shortly. I waited for a minute and then ...wow ....in walked a cute girl with wings (very attractive in an angelic sorta way) and elf ears, 3 days into sl and it did not phase me a bit – on her they were perfect***. This was my first time to meet Elvy, one of Noobia’s hard working volunteer mentors and a person who would become a big part of my sl life.
My sl adventure was truly about to begin.

***If you are not yet familiar with Second Life and elf ears and wings seem strange to you, oh lordy are you in for a treat when you come here! Trust me in two weeks you won’t blink an eye as you stand around chatting with a 12 foot tall demon, a 3 foot chinchilla, a talking horse, a sorta human with what look like cat ears and a wagging cat tail, a loin clothed barbarian princess, and assorted lol “normal” people.  Please refer to my assessment made in the early part of my post...Mardi Gras.......on acid.......govern yourself accordingly.



No comments:

Post a Comment